Marxism defends the unity of peoples across all gender and sexual lines in the fight against the oppressive capitalist system. But Queer Theory holds that our gender and sexual identities are a fiction produced by discourses and oppressive power in society: a learned performance. What does this idea mean for the liberation struggle? Is Queer Theory compatible with Marxism? In this talk, recorded at this year's International Marxist University, Yola Kipcak from Der Funke (Austrian section of the IMT) tackles these issues and explains the position of Marxists towards Queer Theory and the struggle against oppression.
Liberty through struggle: Marxism vs. Queer Theory
- The Enlightenment and Spinoza's revolutionary rationalism 19 May 2023
- Leon Trotsky: A Letter on the Italian Revolution 25 Apr 2023
- 2.3 billion going hungry despite global overproduction of food 24 Apr 2023
- The Frankfurt school's academic 'Marxism': "organised hypocrisy" 21 Apr 2023
- Women's oppression and prostitution: a Marxist perspective 18 Apr 2023